Friday, February 10, 2012

More endgame thoughts and progress plans

More of my endgame experience as a new 50 planning to see what the game has to offer and progress through the content.

After about 3 hours of being level 50, it hit me just how much there is to do at this level. It's a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure that with time I will have a better idea what I'm interested in, what I need to do to advance my character and what I consider a good use of my play time.

One of the first things I tried was a hardmode Black Talon run. Someone was looking for a healer, I whispered him that I just hit 50, so I'm not sure if I'm ready, but I would give it my best shot if he'll take me. Turns out the tank was also a leveling geared fresh 50. 30 minutes later I learned my first lesson, a completely ungeared group of 50s can't make it in HM FlashPoints. I know some of the guides claim it's possible, but considering the first boss was hitting our tank for 50% of his health every 1.5-2 seconds, I wouldn't recommend trying it until you have some better gear. I guess that's what the normal level 50 FP are for, there are 4 of these.
I turned to work on my crew skills and companion affection, Diplomacy gives you companion gifts missions, pretty nice way to both advance the skill and gain affection. Before I knew it, these "cheap" missions left me with around 7k credits. Not even enough for repairs if I'm planning to try out more new FP. I sent myself 40k from my Sorcerer, who I'm currently neglecting (not for long Corith, I promise) and came to the second realization of my post 50 career, you need money and lots of it. For crew skills, for crafting materials, for many useful items\missions\gifts etc at the Galactic Trade Market, repairs, stims, adrenals, health packs. I'll need to find a consistent way to make money. In WOW I was kind of an Auction House wiz, making easily way more money than I could ever spend. I'll probably teach myself to do the same here. There are of course other ways to make money, but I think I'll leave it for another post if I'll see this is a real and ongoing issue and not just something that matters when you just hit 50 and just spent almost 400k on a fast speeder.

As I was spending my time at the fleet with my crew skills and companions, I saw a recruiting message of a guild that looked promising, "looking for level 50s to create a core group of players to progress through endgame content", sounds like my kind of plans. Had a chat with the GM and this seemed like a good fit for me in term of schedule, plans, view of the game. So I joined. Soon after I joined 2 guildies asked if I want to heal HM Black Talon, do people use HM for hardmodes? or do we still stick with HC? I saw both, we'll see who will get the upper hand . I wasn't a naive new 50 at this point, I'm now an experienced level 50 with over 2 hours of endgame playtime :) So I knew this isn't going to be easy. I told them I don't think I'm ready, I just hit 50, they told me not to worry and my second HM try started. This time however we had a better geared tank, another decently geared DPS and another new 50 like myself. Apparently it was enough and we cleared the place with 2-3 wipes. Not bad. 3rd lesson of my level 50 career, if you don't want to waste your time looking for groups or wiping on impossible content, join a guild of like minded people and others you trust or want to try new things with. The odds of a random group not being ready or falling apart mid run are too high, not to mention that when you play with a consistent group, people tend to be more understanding, truthful and helpful.

My to do list is really long at this point, so much content to experience, so many ways to get new and very much needed gear, getting ready for operations and eventually actually going to one. So far the endgame looks promising and interesting. I'll keep you posted as I experience more of it of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment