Friday, February 3, 2012

Grouping with a server wide LFG Channel

Bioware promised a new LFG tool, but the players aren't waiting for it. A new trend that is taking over the galaxy is a player created, server wide, LFG channel. More and more servers now have player created LFG channel and this is becoming a great way to find groups these days. Like I mentioned in a previous post, sticking around the Fleet to find groups isn't a good option and many players, myself included, who will gladly join groups, don't do that.

To join your server LFG channel, you need to type "/cjoin lfg", this works for any channel name, but lfg is the widely accepted channel name for this purpose. Most likely, your server will already have this channel, if not, this command will create it. If you want to leave this channel just type "/cleave lfg".

Personally I don't like to be on this channel if I'm not really looking for a group, not only because of all the messages that I'm not currently interested in, but also because a custom channel lets you know whenever someone joins or leaves the channel, causing many spamming messages to take over your chat box. If there's a way to cancel these, I didn't find it. However, when I do want to find a group, this is a great way to look for it while questing, or generally not hanging around the Fleet.

One thing to be aware of is that there's a bug currently being reported by some people, which gives you a message "unable to join channel lfg", I'm not sure what cause it, too many people in a channel or some other situation. According to tickets submitted by players who got this, it's currently a bug Bioware is looking into.

I hope Bioware hear the players soon, fix the current bugs with the custom channels, give us a way to not get the "xxx joined\left channel" spam, or better yet, just release their promised LFG tool, which suppose to even have a healer\tank\dps designation and other useful features.

Until they do, the more people who adopt the server's lfg channel, the easier it'll be to find groups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer 2 comments I got:

Unfortunately for me, no, I'm not getting paid by Bioware, I just really like the game and write my thoughts about it, both the good and the bad. In fact, I'm the one paying them, first for the game and now for the subscription.

Yes, I have real characters, I play on Elysium, East Coast US server, the characters I'm mostly on are Corial, Corith and Corary. Feel free to say hello if you are in the neighborhood. I might even answer if i'm not in the middle of fighting some SW monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment